Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Met my guru

 

I go with Saravana to Rama Krishna Mutt last Sunday to hear a 1 hour talk from my Guru Sri Bodhinatha VeylanSwami and the experience was really great.

I sat in the calm hall @ Rama Krishna Mutt waiting for my saffron robed guru and his disciples to arrive and there was an atmosphere of peace flowing through my mind. Finally Gurudeva arrived and spoke about Hinduism Basics, some of his personal experiences with various devotees in different countries, the relevancy of Hinduism in modern era, the misconceptions in other religious leaders.

One example which I really loved was regarding a Catholic priest who mentions that He is waiting to die and go to heaven to be greeted by the Lord. Gurudeva says that Hinduism has a different perspective regarding this. For us every moment is Living and Seeing God – we don't have to die or wait to die in order to see and experience God. Constant experience of the divine is what Hinduism is all about.

Seeing my guru was like seeing Lord Siva Himself. While he speaks my breath was regulated and I could feel the energy in my spine – And the more attentive my awareness was locked on him. I hope to work under His guidance and have already started practicing Shum which is a mystical language which my guru’s Gurudeva discovered through his meditation. To summarize - Shum is a language of meditation, for meditation, by meditation. My guru immediately recognizes me to my pleasant surprise and I even got a photograph along with him – thanks to one of the other devotee there. Then i take his blessings by touching his feet. All this happens so fast and my guru is already leaving Bangalore back to Kapaa, Hawaii.

Overall it was a great experience. Thanks to Gurudeva for bestowing his darshan and blessings upon me. After this myself and Saravana went to a restaurant for to enjoy a good dinner.

No comments: