Friday, April 17, 2009

Mitahara (Moderate eating)

 

One of the Yamas is Mitahara (moderate appetite and food consumption). I started following this lately by skipping my lunch despite a strong criticism from my parents and colleagues. They advocated that I would get ulcers, acidity and the list went on and on. Despite the criticism I persisted in what i believed right – and to my surprise I was feeling more energetic and active. I have been following this close to a month and I feel great. In fact I feel much better than what i used to feel earlier when I was having food even when I was not hungry.

On weekends when parents invariably force me to consume food during lunch time even when I'm not hungry – i end up feeling lazy and tired.

From this lesson and observation in life I have come to a conclusion as of now that – like how hard work never killed anybody, eating less or moderately (on a need basis – when hungry) – or to put it in my gurus words – feeding the stomach rather than the mouth is the right way for food consumption.

At a village cafe two men are eating a traditional meal on banana leaves. One follows mitahara, while the other overeats. Image web page source: @Himalayan Academy

Almost all the people who advocated the fear of getting acidity were non-vegetarian folks who were used to that food since childhood. While i respect their concern for me, end of the day i know what’s good for myself better than them.

Aum Namah Sivaya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good one ..... I too believe in this ....