Friday, October 1, 2010

Overcoming Non-persistence

 

There is a famous saying - “Persistence is what makes it sound like that the Impossible is possible, possible – likely and likely definite”

A river cuts through rock – not because of its softness but because of its persistence.

The slogan “Press On” has and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I was concerned about my being Non-persistent in my important goals of life. I observe that I am persistent in some small jobs of life – such as “brushing teeth”, “getting ready & going on time to office” etc. But was not able to apply the same in my spiritual and personal goals.

The search continued on how to attain consistency. That’s when I found this beautiful article through the help of a friend.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/athletics-physical-education-and-recreation/pe-550-designing-your-life-spring-2009/lecture-notes/MITPE_550iap09_s09_lec01.pdf

Its is from Massachusetts institute of Technology and it really helped me beat inconsistency. I’m able to beat the odds using this approach.

Goal 1 - Daily Meditation for at-least 1/2 hr.

Consequence (of not doing it) – Walking 2 km to Ganesh Temple

Goal 2 – Read Master Course lessons from Gurudeva’s Trilogy

Consequence (of not doing it) – Give 200 bucks to Wife.

BEFORE I adopted this strategy – my Success statistics were 2/8 (2 days out of 8 i was able to work consistently on my Goals)

AFTER I adopted this strategy – my Success Stats are 10/12 (10 days able to work on Goals consistency on 12 days) which is not Bad. Of course I had to walk 2 km on 2 days and also lost 400 bucks to wife :-)

As mentioned in the article – the consequence is not meant as a punishment but meant as a means to enforce integrity within myself. Now i can confidently say “Yes I can, I am able”

Aum Nama Sivaya

No comments: