Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A quote from ‘Matrix’

 

A lot of situations in the movie matrix is very similar to the Hindu belief that the mind is unreal and the Self is real. I interpret many of these quotes by replacing the word ‘Matrix’ with ‘Mind’ when i read them.

Some nice quotes from Matrix which i liked, Self realization is something like this Matrix Quote.

“Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.” – Morpheus

“The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.” – Morpheus

“Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand)You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill)Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.”

“Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.”

“Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.”

“Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.”

“Cypher: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?
[Takes a bite of steak]
Cypher: Ignorance is bliss.”

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/quotes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isnt it that Cypher's philosophy is entirely against that of Morpheus? The journey towards darkness and ignorance?? May I ask, why then did you deem to quote it?? What's the significance of it being quoted in this context? Isn't it wise to ignore him and discard his philosophy altogether??

That i am said...

i liked cypher's understanding here of the matrix in his statement - "You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? .... Ignorance is bliss"

What he says here reflects the correct understanding of how the Matrix (mind) works .... Hence the quote :)